10 October 2009

About uni

Friday, 9 October 2009

I have been on the fence about uni for about three months, sitting on all six acceptance letters and worrying about having to make up my future. I have been telling other people and myself that I've narrowed it down to either University of Delaware or University of East Anglia in England. Then I got a lovely instant message from Shirley, one of my friends from HOH over in England. We tapped into our computers for half the evening and when we had signed off (too late for her, nearly 11.00 pm here) I stared at her last message for about five minutes doing nothing else. 'See you soon!' she had typed to me. I got a tear in my eye. Straight away I opened Safari and looked up the university web site. Naturally I made sure my first message had gone through and been received before sending the other one.

The second one was to U Delaware.

My whole system has been upset for about three days and this morning I finally got the email to settle my tummy. Of course I had let a few key people know of my decision, but the email from Shirley was worth all the wait. So we have a tentative date to lunch the day after I arrive-- next September! It's good because I will be here or working the ice-cream shop in New Jersey all summer first. Classes start at Michaelmas. I will have three or four friends from HOH there, as UEA is sort of the local school, and Shirley, who will be one year ahead of me (for having continued to 6th form at HOH when I had to return to the US for 11th grade) wants to be my roommie. I will be among familiar people and in a land I love, and Daddy and Mother have promised to visit often and to request my presence home to Terncote for every holiday. In the meantime Jessy and I shall plan a visit over our Easter break-- and I will have shopping to do and people to catch up with. I am excited-- and eager for the challenge of making it work.

Thanks be to God.

...

No comments: