12 November 2008

Long time gone

Wednesday 12 November 2008

I have not been away from this blog so long since I started it. The truth is that I have been very busy and that means even this won't be a long entry.

I attended a few recording sessions of one of Daddy's new bands last week, at out old house in Delaware where the studio is. This was for me to contribute to backing-vocal tracks where they needed a female voice. I have always sung, even on stage in school and community things, and this was not something I was nervous about. I did not, however, like the song. I must admit I prefer the one Daddy gave them, one of his older things which they have redone for this CD. I have a sneaky feeling he asked me to contribute to this one because he wanted it to sound more grounded, in other words more like he had done more with it than he had. We recorded me three times and listened to a few early mixes and Daddy said he could use it like it is. That was two afternoons and nights of last week.

On one of the other nights Jessy came along and Daddy recorded us singing a duet of... I won't say but it was fun and very 'like' us, if that makes any sense, and of course Daddy got to play the instrument parts like he wanted. He seems to believe we should... no, I won't say that yet.

I have also started writing a novel, a very cute (so I hope) love story about young people who need to run away from home to escape harmful family situations, but because they are Catholic they insist on having a friend who wants to enter the priesthood 'conduct' the marriage ceremony for them, so they are 'married in the sight of God'. It actually gets very syrupy and very sexy at the same time. They sail off to The Bahamas and end up converting to the Anglican Church because the Catholics judge them as sinners for not having got married in the church in the first place. (I don't know if that's really how Catholics would be towards them. It's just literary licence.) Anyway I have been coming home on every free afternoon and hammering away at this keyboard for several hours each night. Mother told me about a novel-writing contest held every year in which you have to write a complete story of 50,000 words between the 1st and 30th of November. I am at 38,000 now. But I do not think this story will qualify because I am very fastidious about writing and may never consider it edited enough or good enough.

Also Jessy and I went to see 'HSM 3' again with some more people from school and a 3rd time with Mother and Lisa. We got our first-term report cards and I have a B in German and a B in Geometry. Jessy has a B in her history class and actually a B in PE because she just does not like to sweat in school. I can picture her only halfheartedly swatting at the ball in tennis or field hockey for fear of breaking a nail or mussing her hair, you know.

And about a week and a half ago we had snow flurries, but then it went warm enough to lie round naked in my room while typing and then it got cold again, and right now the sea breeze is very raw and chilling making me not want to be outside at all. As I write this I have a nice fire including some birch logs from the new property (more of that later) and a piece of driftwood from a load of logs we collected while up in Delaware. And I am dressed (more or less). And have a stiff neck and eye strain from using the computer. And am having fudge cookies Lisa and Jessy made yesterday. And, taking a break from the writing, will go online tonight to see who's chatting.

...

No comments: