15 November 2008

Naked gardening

Saturday 15 November 2008

The weather is still nice and I am still naked. We got up earlier than usual, had toast and tea on the back terrace, and set to work with Mother on the gardens, pulling weeds, raking a bit, sweeping up, even little J.J. who had a broom and a trowel and worked pretty hard... warm and happy enough in his Pull-Up pants and work boots and, for a while, a t-shirt. Mother was in a cute black sleeveless t-shirt and denim shorts and of course the kneepads. The three of us girls, Lisa, Jessy and me, wore aprons and sneakers and that's pretty much it.

Of course Daddy was gone away to Lewes again for work with the new band. They have pretty much given over trying to wait for sources of income and have gone off for part-time jobs to support themselves, meaning Saturdays and one or two days in the week available for studio work. This frustrates Daddy because once he gets excited about a project he doesn't like to stop, and now he would be idle three or four days a week now if not the new project with Jessy and me.... Anyway he was away pretty much all day, which left the three of us feeling comfortable enough to not get dressed.

Mother was a pretty efficient taskmaster ('taskmistress'?) and kept us all working through lunch. It was really only the damage done by blowing leaves and so forth, and we got some of the beds covered with this heavy green plastic for the winter which will help keep them soft and damp. We got started late enough in the morning that we did not break for tea, and then Mother rang the pizza place for sandwiches and let us play in the garden while she went out to the front door to pay for them. She really does not mind our being naked as long as we are able to actually function in the family. She insists that we are modest about it, and we are.

When we were sitting round the table on the terrace having our sandwiches she made a not-so-subtle gesture at Jessy that only got us all to look over at Jessy, who saw the gesture last of all. Jessy had been sitting there slouched way down on the chair with her sandwich paper on her tummy and her legs apart underneath... not a very modest pose for anyone and she was certainly showing a lot more than anyone ever should! Lisa stared. Mother frowned. Jessy blushed and brought her legs back together. I hid a laugh.

Then again, you know, any mother or stepmother would not want her daughter sitting like that, clothed or not. This is what I mean when I say Jessy is so innocent. She really does not think about anything inappropriate.

I just love her to death, you know.

We worked most of the afternoon, and then those of us who are under six got weary. Jessy tucked in J.J. for a nap and I took Lisa up to her room. 'I don't want to put pyjamas on,' she said.

I laughed. 'Who was going to make you put on pyjamas for a nap?'

'I usually have to when I sleep.'

I smiled, patting her back as I steered her in to her room. 'This is just a nap,' I said, 'because you worked so hard. This doesn't count.'

She dove on the bed, naked, dirty, probably sticky from the garden stuff, and curled right up in the centre of it. 'I don't want any covers on,' she said.

'It will get cold,' I told her. 'No use being all bare if we're going to be stupid about it, and catch cold.' I prised the sheets out from under her and draped one sheet over her body. 'Now rest well, and we'll all have a nice shower together before supper.'

She nodded eagerly, her head against the pillow, and I pulled her door closed most of the way and made sure the gallery lights were out before going down for tea.

Just before five Daddy came home, pretending to be angry about having laid up the boat so early (though there was a hurricane coming that week and it was only sensible). 'We should be out sailing!' he called up the stair hall. 'Girls! Let's get the boat out!'

I laughed, leaning over the mezzanine railing to him. 'You are nuts!'

He looked up, not having heard my bare feet on the floor above him. 'Ah-hah, I see you guys get to enjoy the nice weather, but what about me?'

Jessy was at the front stair hall and leaned over to call down the steps, 'We worked all day, Daddy! What did you do?'

'Hah!' he laughed. 'I worked too! And it seems like some of us had more fun working outside than I had inside!'

We all laughed.

Now I've done typing this and have to shower with my sisters (as promised) and be dressed for dinner!

...

No comments: