15 December 2008

This is typical

Monday 15 December 2008

After supper Daddy and Jessy met up in the kitchen, each of them seeking some kind of snack for a commercial break. Daddy was in the middle of the Giants game (once that was 'his' team) and Jessy was in the middle of one, or two, or maybe four or six episodes of 'Suite Life With Zack and Cody'. I was sitting at the end of the big table in the dining room, having a cup of tea and reading in 'Country Life' when I heard them through the open door.

Daddy: 'I think I'm going to get a spoon for this. The best weapon for eating is the spoon.'

Jessy: 'I think I'm going to get a bowl for this. The best thing to eat out of is a bowl. The bowl,' she said, like an elementary teacher giving a lesson, 'is actually God's favourite kind of dish.'

Daddy: 'Okay, one-- God doesn't use a bowl. Two-- God doesn't play favourites like that. He loves all dishes equally.'

Jessy: 'Yeah, but secretly, his favourite is the bowl.'

Daddy: 'Don't attribute human characteristics and failings to God. You know he hates that.'

Jessy (laughing): 'Daddy--!'

...

No comments: