07 May 2009

When almost is good enough

Sunday 3 May 2009

Over the weekend it was warm enough to... get comfortable [wink]. The team had practice on Saturday and I rushed home looking forward to a pleasant day on my chaise in the garden, and it began to rain. I growled and the rain got worse. I ranted about it and it got worse yet. So I shut up and went online, as I am often wont to do, and complained to people there about it. And it rained all weekend.

So mostly I was in my room, but that didn't mean I didn't have to be... comfortable [wink]. Mother came up on Sunday afternoon and asked if I was coming down for tea. She likes to have proper tea at 4.00, after school and especially on Sundays. I said I would and put on my pale blue cover-up shirt, buttoned at least some of it, and put on a little silver belt round it to hold it down, you know. And I stepped into my silver shoes, just because. Well-- it was like 80 degrees in the house. When I descended Mother took one look at me and giggled. 'Oh, Janine! I might have guessed!'

'What?'

Then she told me two of the ladies from church were coming. In fact a car pulled up outside as I stood there. I stomped a foot and went back up stairs.

I met Jessy in the gallery. She had on a t-shirt and panties and I said, 'Not enough. We have company.'

As I passed her she stomped her foot too and turned to go back to her room.

I was frustrated from not getting to lie out back. At least Jessy and Lisa had been out there playing, earlier-- I have had no sun since Tuesday afternoon and then only a little. So I just pulled on the grey HOH skirt I had worn for church and went back down. Mother smiled at me-- was that a wink? Daddy came in and started a conversation and we all got wrapt-up in politics and no one paid much attention to what I had on. I didn't care.

Jessy kept trying to meet eyes with me from across the table. She'd put on her stuff from church again and looked nice. By contrast I looked like a slob with the shirt hanging out over the little grey skirt. I didn't care.

'I can't believe you did that,' Jessy said quietly to me in the gallery, after they had gone.

I just shrugged. 'So--? It doesn't matter.'

She looked at me. I knew what she meant-- I could have had on a bra, but-- 'Well,' she said, 'maybe it doesn't.'

I smiled at her. 'You think--?' I stood up straight.

She gave me one look. 'Um-- No.'

Oh, well.

...

No comments: