13 October 2008

Over the bridge and far away (part II)

Saturday 11 October 2008

Jessy and I have been planning on a day to visit the mall in Virginia Beach and as the week unfolded we ended up inviting cute little Rachel (Jessy's 10th-grade class president) to join us. Daddy, ever protective, would not allow just anyone to drive us the long way over the Bay Bridge-Tunnel and into the wilds of VB and so arranged that Roger would chauffeur us in the green Cadillac. We did not get under way till after 1.00, when Rachel finally rang and said she was done her chores. ('Chores?' Princess Jessy said on the phone. 'Chores? Could you describe what a "chores" looks like?')

Going over the bridge there is a bit too much wind to stand up and squeal out the roof window (we've tried), but with that open and the back windows down we were full of the cool sea breeze even sitting across the back seat. The sun was just a little over to the right and brilliant-- it looked like the kind of day you'd want to throw your arms round and hang onto forever. Rachel was thrilled. She'd never been to the mall in VB before.

Lynnhaven was busy as ever. Roger stopped at the kerb and came round to open the door for us, and I alighted, then Rachel, then Princess Jessy. We were all dressed casually, in jeans and t-shirts, though neatly and cleverly. Naturally people turned and looked at us like we were starlets. (I admit that this is one reason I love having Roger drive us.) I tossed my head and happened to remember the Aeropostale store was not far away, so I just said, 'Oh, hullo, dears, here it is!' and led them off to the doors. Jessy had to ring Roger with her phone to give him an idea of where and when to meet us. Well sometimes image is more important than logistics!

At AE we all bought bras. This is really my favourite place to buy them. I am lucky-- I can lift them right off the rack and know the fit beforehand. Jessy is still developing (sorry) and she and Rachel went into a dressing room together. Jessy said that Rachel was trying one on over her own bra till she turned round. I didn't have to ask-- I knew Jessy would have been all bare from the waist, trying it on and toying with the fit, almost as casual if she'd been trying it on right in the store. She simply has the kind of personal confidence that doesn't allow fear. She'd never do something like that of course-- try on a bra in the store, or a swimsuit, or really anything more than outerwear, because she is after all a lady. But it's not from fear or embarrassment. A lady is a lady because it is how she shows respect for others, and also for herself. Whether or not she feels comfortable doing this or that, she is ever aware of the comfort of other people too.

I don't think anyone seeing Jessy trying on a bra would ever feel uncomfortable about it, at least not because it's such an unpleasant sight. But there are many kinds of discomfort and a lady is always aware of them all.

As for Rachel I think she deserved a little shaking-up. We love her and it'll be good for her to wake up just a little. Maybe that's part of being a lady too.

I hate to say it but we felt like stars all day. We sat at a table for pizza ($3.00 a slice. Go figure) and at the next table were two eager children and their exhausted mother, all of whom seemed to stare at us as though we were someone they should have known. I really don't know why we seem to get this. We're not Haylie and Hilary's characters in 'Material Girls' --we're not that stupid or obvious, even if we are somewhat cheerful and animated. People have said that I am a good role model for younger people, and maybe they are right because I constantly find younger people, especially girls but also boys, paying attention to me. The little girl at that other table kept looking at me as though I were... Taylor Swift. 'Hi,' I finally said to her.

'Hi,' she said softly, shyly.

'What did you get today?'

She shrugged. 'We've been shoe shopping,' the young-looking mother said. 'I think I've been in every store here.'

'Yes, but it's fun, isn't it?' I said, and smiled at the little girl.

She nodded but wouldn't say anything else. When we got up to go we all said good-bye to them as though they'd been our supper companions. Later Rachel reported that a pair of 9th-grade girls from our school were lurking a few dozen steps behind us as though they didn't want us to see them there. We all giggled. Well maybe they'd have something to tell everyone else about come Monday.

All in I bought three new bras (one can never have too many), two pairs of opaque tights, a bundle of six pairs of socks, two pairs of soft cotton sleep shorts for the price of one, and a packet of three coconut-scented sachets for my wardrobe... at AE; and besides that there were the food, drinks, a book, the Taylor Swift CD, a black t-shirt, a pair of plain black canvas Vans slip-ons, padded insoles for my Timberland deck shoes, a short grey denim miniskirt, two different VS scents, and a super cool black wool beret. The other girls got some stuff too. Roger swung up like a Godsend to rescue us from the burden of all these purchases, getting out of the car to open the door and then offering to pop the boot (okay, trunk) lid. 'No, thank you,' we said, for we wanted to sort through all our stuff on the ride home. It was nearly dark though and Rachel and Jessy fell asleep on each other's shoulders before we were over the bridge.

...

No comments: